Yoga blocks: What to consider when buying
Are you looking for a yoga block to improve your yoga practice? Then you've come to the right place. In this article you will learn what you should look for when buying a yoga block and which different types are available.
Yoga blocks are versatile tools that can help you deepen and improve your yoga practice. A block is often used to extend reach, increase stability and aid alignment. Whether you are a beginner or an advanced yoga practitioner, a yoga block can help you take your practice to the next level.
When buying a yoga block, there are a few important factors to consider. First of all, you should pay attention to the material. Most blocks are made of foam, cork or wood. Foam blocks are lightweight and provide good cushioning, while cork blocks are non-slip and durable. Wooden blocks are often the most expensive option, but they are also very sturdy and incomparably durable. At greenyogashop.com you will find blocks that are made from sustainable and environmentally friendly materials. The materials used are mostly recycled or of natural origin. Our natural cork blocks, for example, are produced fairly and under the best conditions in Portugal.
The size of the yoga block is another important factor in your purchase decision. Most blocks have a standard size of about 23 cm x 12 cm x 6.5 cm, but there are also larger and smaller versions. The right size depends on your individual needs and preferences. If you are unsure, it is advisable to choose a medium sized block as this is suitable for most people.
The surface texture of the yoga block is also important. Some blocks have a smooth surface, while others have a textured surface to increase slip resistance and grip. Again, the choice of texture depends on your personal preferences and needs. If you tend to sweat a lot, a block with a textured surface may be a better choice. Blocks with a smooth and closed surface texture, on the other hand, are easier to clean.
Last but not least, you should also pay attention to the price. A high-quality yoga block costs between 15 and 25 euros, depending on the material and design.
What do you need a yoga block for?
Yoga blocks are an essential tool for yoga practitioners of all experience levels. They are used to improve alignment and stability during yoga exercises. But what exactly do you need yoga blocks for? For more information on why the yoga block is versatile in giving you more stability and balance and allowing you to stretch deeper, check out our guide article: All about the yoga block.
Which yoga block is the best?
The answer certainly depends on some individual factors and personal preferences. When deciding which one to buy, you should consider the material, size, surface structure price, but also the purpose of using the yoga block. We recommend yoga blocks made of cork, because they provide good stability, do not slip over the yoga mat and stack well. In addition, the material is of natural origin and can be fully recycled. The cork yoga blocks from Ocean to Ocean are made in Portugal. This is another advantage over, for example, foam blocks, which have often already travelled the long way from Asia.
Which yoga blocks for beginners?
For yoga beginners, yoga blocks are an extremely helpful tool to support the practice and improve alignment. But which yoga blocks are best for beginners? Here are some recommendations:
- Foam blocks: Foam blocks are a popular choice for beginners as they are lightweight, soft yet sturdy. They provide good cushioning and are ideal for people who do not yet have great flexibility. Foam blocks are comparatively inexpensive and come in different sizes to suit individual needs.
- Large blocks: For beginners, it can be helpful to use larger yoga blocks. These provide a larger surface area and stability, which can make it easier to maintain balance and improve alignment in the asana. Larger blocks can also be used as a seat or to support the back.
- Non-slip blocks: Beginners can benefit from yoga blocks with a non-slip surface. These provide a better grip and prevent slipping during the exercises. A good grip is particularly important to build confidence and safety during one's practice.
- Lightweight blocks: If beginners want to take their own blocks to the yoga studio frequently, lightweight blocks are a good choice. Lightweight materials such as foam (EVA) are easy to transport and yet sturdy enough to provide sufficient support.
What do you do with a yoga block?
There are a few ways you can use the yoga block as a supportive tool in your yoga practice.
- Aid in standing poses: Yoga blocks can be used to bring the floor closer to the hands or feet to improve alignment in standing asanas such as forward bends. Blocks provide additional stability and allow beginners to perform the pose safely and comfortably.
- Increase flexibility in seated yoga exercises: The yoga block can be placed supportively under hands or the buttocks to perform the stretch in a gentle and controlled manner, improving flexibility over time. They act as a sitting aid to raise the hips and make sitting on the floor more comfortable. This is particularly helpful for people with back problems.
- Improving balance and stamina: Yoga blocks can be used to improve balance in different poses. Placed under the hands or feet for support, it is easier to maintain balance and stay in the posture longer.
- Support during relaxation and restorative yoga exercises: Yoga blocks can also find their use to support the body in relaxation exercises. By placing the block under the back, head or legs, one can achieve a deeper relaxation.